Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Random Recipe Wednesday: Kindergarten Cookbook Recipes

I stumbled upon a cookbook my class made in kindergarten (or maybe 1st grade).  Our Mother's Day Cookbook was made up of recipes from a kid's perspective.  As you'll see below, some of them are quite funny while others aren't too far from an actual working recipe.  The pages are now falling apart and several are missing, but my mom has still saved it all these years.  

My friend Alissa and I decorated the cover. I'm guessing that's me at the oven, which appears to be complete with an off/on switch.  

The recipe I contributed was for my mom's favorite cookies.  The real recipe is a crackled chocolate mint cookie rolled in powdered sugar.  Rolling in "white powder," a.k.a. powdered sugar, was the favorite part of the process.  My brother and I would be covered in powdered sugar and sprinkle it on each other like fairy dust.  I'll show you the pictures sometime along with the real recipe.  Apparently my mom always made these and gave them to other people since I specified that in the directions.  Sharing cookies is a hard lesson to learn. 

My friend Alissa also had a cookie recipe.  Hers baked for 10 hours.  When you're waiting for the first cookie it does seem like 10 hours.  Unless, of course, you've already eaten 10 cookies worth of dough. Which I never do. 

Cake also takes a good 9 hours in the oven, a super hot oven to be exact. 

If  you don't want to bake it that long then try this version.  All you have to do is mix and put in the refrigerator until tomorrow. 

Cupcakes, on the other hand, bake in only 10 minutes. But you must have "cupcake things." 

Cooking is less specific than baking.  Just put a little bit of sauce on your steak and grill until everything else is done. 

Hey, look....there's the powdered sugar I needed in my cookies. This kid used it in his meatballs.  Once the spaghetti is wiggly be sure to put it on your plate and then eat it.  

I sure hope snack time wasn't based on our recipes. 

Food for Thought: "Children see magic because they look for it." -Christopher Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment