Monday, April 1, 2013

Mindful Monday: Thoughts from Easter

Mindful Monday: On Monday's I'm going to share what's been on my mind. I by no means have any of this figured out, I'm just thinking out loud here.

Each time you see or hear something familiar there is a chance to to gain new perspective and insight.  This weekend several things stuck out to me regarding Easter.  Though I've heard them all before, I hadn't really stopped to reflect or ponder their significance.  Below is the shortened version of a few things that made my wheels start turning.  I'd like to spend more personal time digging deeper and applying these thoughts to my my own life.

1. Jesus knew that Judas would betray him, yet he still chose him as a disciple.  I have to wonder how this influenced their interactions.  If I knew someone would ultimately betray me I would always keep them at an arms length.  Yet I suspect Jesus showed Judas just as much love and respect as he did to the other disciples.

2. I've been having a hard time lately making my quite time a priority.  I use the excuse of being too tired or not having 'enough' time.  At the Good Friday service I couldn't help but notice the words Jesus spoke to the disciples in the garden.
"Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. 'Couldn't you men keep watch with me for one hour?' he asked Peter. 'Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.' " (Matthew 26:40-41) 
 I am no different. How many times have I struggled to stay awake during a service?  How many times do I fall asleep praying or stay in bed just a few more minutes instead of making morning quiet time a priority?

3. It's hard to comprehend the extreme physical pain Christ went through during the crucifixion.  While this bodily torment was excruciating, the mental and spiritual anguish he went through as he took on the guilt, shame and punishment of all mankind was even more intense.  Even more intense. (plus it happened at the same time as the physical torture)

Food for Thought: "If the cross was the end of the story, we would have no hope. But the cross isn't the end. Jesus didn't escape from death; he conquered it and opened the way to heaven for all who will dare to believe. The truth of this moment, if we let it sweep over us, is stunning." -Steven James

No comments:

Post a Comment