Monday, March 25, 2013

Mindful Monday: From Microwaves to Lava Lamps

Mindful Monday: On Monday's I'm going to share what's been on my mind. I by no means have any of this figured out, I'm just thinking out loud here.

I've been thinking about a lot of deeper stuff lately, but not necessarily stuff I want to fully hash out here.  At least not yet.  I guess we'll just go with random bits and pieces.

1. Watch carefully when you start using a new microwave.  I had the times for everything from hot chocolate to frozen broccoli perfected on our old microwave.  New microwaves mean figuring out new times.

2.  On the plus side, the popcorn button actually works just right for popcorn.  As an added bonus the word "enjoy" flashes across the top rather than "end" if you use the popcorn button.  I'm not sure if that's ridiculous, clever or completely unimportant.

3. Life doesn't always take the path you imagine.  It's not necessarily better or worse than what you once envisioned, just different.  Kind of like, "hmmmm, that's interesting, I wonder what's next?"

4. Do you ever take several hours to do something that should take less than 20 minutes because you're obsessing over details?  Arrrg, I hate when I do that.

5. I knew that cream of tartar is added to egg whites to increase stability and volume, but I didn't know that cream of tartar is a byproduct of making wine.  The fine white powder is deposited on the inside of wine barrels.  It helps prevent sugar syrups from crystallizing and is thus added to candy and frosting for a creamier consistency.

6.  I keep going to look something up on my computer, then remembering I lost it all.  Back up your files in multiple places.  This public service announcement has been brought to you by a remorseful procrastinator.

7. Turtle beans.  Did you know that black beans are also called turtle beans? Clearly you needed to know this on a Monday.

8. I got two somewhat contradictory messages from two similar sources this week.  It forced me to stop and really think about which one was right.  Were my motives for agreeing based on what I wanted to hear or what I knew was right?  Could they both be right?  There's a fine line between helpful compromise and dangerous compromise.

9. Lava lamps and bubble lights. You just never know what will bounce across my mind at any given second.  Thanks to the Internet my curiosity on how things work is quickly quenched.

Food for Thought: "Desire is the starting point of all achievement, not a hope, not a wish, but a keen pulsating  desire which transcends everything." -Napoleon Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment