Monday, February 25, 2013

Mindful Monday: Untangling Thoughts

Mindful Monday: On Monday's I'm going to share what's been on my mind. I by no means have any of this figured out, I'm just thinking out loud here.

It's been a while since I've really thought out loud here.  Monday's and Thursday's posts have been full of verses, thankful lists or random facts, but nothing in depth or too thought provoking.  I was pondering just why that is and came to a few conclusions.  During those glorious warmer months I went on long walks most days.  A few hours each day of fresh air, sunshine and nature gave me plenty of time to unwind and digest my thoughts.  During the winter I'm wrapped up in my cocoon of a blanket wishing I had an excuse to just hibernate until spring.  My thoughts stay wrapped up too, and I take less time to untangle them.  My mind could use a good spring cleaning.  Come to think of it so could my room, but that's another story.

Perhaps my avoidance is related to contentment.  Some of the thoughts I've delayed untangling relate to issues I keep hoping will untangle themselves given enough time.  But isn't that part of the problem?  If this, when that, as soon as ____, then, yes surely then I'll get to that.  But what about now?  What if "then" is just an unreachable, ever-increasing ideal that never materializes?  I must learn to be content with the now, to enjoy the moment whatever it may bring or not bring.  Because dwelling too much on the  maybe's, what if's, or what could have been's, results in missing the fullness of the present.

And that reminds me why I often avoid untangling my thoughts, it's messy and confusing.  It takes time, patience and thought.  What's that? You say thought is required to think things out, who would've thought?  Surface level is easy, or at least cleaner and faster.  It's much safer to tell you there are 11-1/2 bananas sitting on my counter than to hash out my perspective on a topic I'm not too sure of.  That being said, this is not always the place to share those thoughts.  However, I do need to be more mindful by untangling them in one way or another.  Okay, now that I've untangled some thoughts about thoughts, I think I'll wrap it up here before I tie my tongue in knots.

Food for Thought: "Life is so urgent it necessitates living slow." -Ann Voskamp

No comments:

Post a Comment