Thursday, December 6, 2012

Thursday's Thoughts: One Term or Another

Thursday's Thoughts: a taste of what I'm thinking

When reading recipes from other countries I often come across words or ingredients I'm unfamiliar with.  Sometimes I assume it's an ingredient we don't have over here or that it's been mistranslated in my browser.  Even recipes written in the same language but different countries are grounds for confusion.  I recently came across a list of cooking terms giving the U.S. term and the British equivalent.  Some had only minor differences in spelling, but others were completely different.  Below are a few of the terms I found interesting.

British-English
aubergine - eggplant
rapeseed oil - canola oil
pips - seeds
neeps/swedes - turnips
butty - sandwich
demerara sugar - brown sugar
digestive biscuits - graham crackers
gill - 2/3 cup
courgette - zucchini
gammon - ham
banger - sausage
tatties - potatoes
cup/breakfast cup - 1-1/4 cups
teacup -3/4 cup
vegetable marrow - summer squash
treacle - molasses

source: Food Lover's Companion

Food for Thought: " He who has faith has...and inward reservoir of courage, hope, confidence, calmness and assuring trust that everything will come out well - even though to the world it may appear to come out most badly." -B.C. Forbes 

No comments:

Post a Comment