Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Weird Recipe Wednesday: Savory Pumpkin Pie and Chocolate Pecan Pie

Weird Recipe Wednesday: Because some recipes are so weird I just HAVE to try them.  My curiosity always gets the better of me.



Knowing how much I like to experiment, my brother gave me this super neat pie pan that's split down the middle, allowing me to test two recipes at once.


With a twinkle in his eye he encouraged me to practice my pie making skills while he's home on Thanksgiving break.  Knowing I had a willing taste tester, I set out to make two of the pies on my ever growing 'recipes to try' list.


First up was a savory pumpkin pie. Caramelized onions, balsamic vinegar, Greek yogurt, pumpkin and smoked paprika went into the filling along with a few other ingredients.


The verdict?  It was definitely.... weird....if you know what I mean.  Perhaps if I thought of it more like a quiche instead of a pie.  Not for me, thanks.


On the other side was a creamy chocolate pecan pie. Better than the other side but not a huge hit either.
 

The lesson learned here?  If you encourage someone to practice their pie-making skills, you may want to specify your filling of choice.


Seeing as I can always use practice, I asked a trusted friend for her pie crust recipe.  Rather than trying another weird one from my list, I asked my brother what kind of filling he'd prefer.  I guess if you're making pie for someone you should make what they want to eat, not just what you want to play with.  I had to play a little though, this time with the crust. I decided to turn the scraps into leaves for a change of pace.  Not bad for a first attempt.  A certain someone is still hinting that practice makes perfect, so send your favorite pie crust recipe my way.  You'd better include your favorite fail-proof filling.  It will make a few people extra thankful.


Food for Thought: "The purposes of a man's heart are deep waters, but a man of understanding draws them out." -Proverbs 20:5


1 comment:

  1. I love that Ben got you that dual pan, I can totally see the expression on his face when handed it to you, with all that pie expectation.

    ReplyDelete