Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Tuesday's Twist: Strawberry-Mango-Basil Frozen Yogurt

Tuesday's Twist:  A basic recipe with a fun twist.  In other words, just another excuse for me to play around with weird recipes I've been dying to try.


Let's squeeze in a little more summer, shall we?  I made several varieties of this frozen treat over the summer.  Each time it was so deliciously refreshing that I ate every last spoonful before my camera could even think about blinking.  Even this time around I gave up on the pictures and just ate it.  I tried putting it back in the freezer, hoping it would firm up enough to snap some better pictures.  But each time I went to check the freezer, a spoonful found its way to my mouth.  And then, all of a sudden, it was gone.  So much for that idea.   One velvety smooth spoonful and you'll understand my dilemma.


You really need only 2 ingredients; frozen fruit and Greek yogurt. But, you know me and playing with weird combinations. My first encounter with this tasty treat occurred while visiting my friend Emma. We whirled together frozen raspberries and Almond Creme Greek yogurt, simple yet so delicious.  I've been hooked ever since.  The texture is spot-on and it comes together in minutes flat, without an ice cream maker.


It wasn't long before my pen scribbled a lengthy list of flavor combinations to experiment with.  If  my skill for photographing melting treats was as developed as my rapid rate of consumption, I'd be tempted to post a new flavor every week until Christmas. After all, it should be easier to snap a decent picture when the weather's a little cooler.  Buuuuut, frozen yogurt isn't really a fall thing, meaning I'll just keep eating it without telling you. Or at least I'll try.  I may have to tell you about a few new flavors before next summer.


Incredibly easy, healthy and melt-in-your-mouth amazingness all at the same time? Yes, please! Besides being super fast to make, this frozen yogurt is packed with protein. For the best smooth and creamy texture, enjoy right away. Think of it as instant frozen yogurt with a soft-serve consistency. Should you be strange enough to have any left over, you'll find it turns pretty hard in the freezer and looses its perfectly creamy texture. So just eat it right up, it's healthy remember?  I used plain Greek yogurt, but feel free to try other flavors as well.  Mix and match your fruits and don't be afraid to stir in a few other add-ins.  I like mine extra tart, but you can add a sweetener if you like. Make it your own, you won't be sharing anyway.

Strawberry-Mango-Basil Frozen Yogurt
inspired by Espresso and Cream

Ingredients:
1 cup frozen strawberries
1 cup frozen mango pieces
1 (6oz) container fat-free plain Greek yogurt
1 tsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil

Instructions:
* Place strawberries and mango pieces in food processor.  Pulse until finely chopped.  Add Greek yogurt, lemon juice and basil.  Pulse just until smooth and creamy, scraping down sides several times. Serve immediately or place in freezer for up to 1 hour.

Food for Thought: "Creativity is intelligence having fun."-Albert Einstein 

No comments:

Post a Comment