Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Weird Recipe Wednesday: Balsamic Roasted Radishes


Weird Recipe Wednesday: Because some recipes are so weird I just HAVE to try them.  My curiosity always gets the better of me.

Radishes rarely frequent my kitchen.  It's not that I dislike them, I've just never bothered to buy any.  I got some for free last summer and didn't quite know what to do with them.  I think I just ended up tossing them in a salad.  I mean, what else do you do with radishes?

Well, you could toss them in balsamic vinegar and roast them.



Raw radishes have a crisp crunch and a peppery bite.  Roasting softens both the texture and flavor.


A mellow, almost buttery flavor develops as these slowly roast in the oven.  A new found sweetness replaces the raw peppery bite, yet a faint hint of radish bite remains, mingling with the balsamic vinegar.  The crisp crunch is replaced by a texture similar to that of roasted cauliflower.  


I may need to experiment with other ways to use radishes.  I've found I actually enjoy them raw, but my curiosity might get the better of me, it sure paid off this time. Or maybe I'll play with their bright pink color and try my hand at carving a radish flower.  You never know what will happen when you try something new! 

Balsamic Roasted Radishes
slightly adapted from My Kitchen Affair

Ingredients:
12 radishes
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Instructions:
* Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
* Wash and dry radishes, trimming stems if needed.  Cut into halves or quarters and place in a 9-inch glass baking dish.
* Add balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper and toss until evenly coated.
* Bake 25-30 minutes, or until radishes are tender, stirring once halfway through.

Food for Thought: "Your day will go the way the corners of your mouth turn." -unknown


No comments:

Post a Comment