Thursday, May 17, 2012

Thursday's Thoughts: A Splash of Color

Thursday's Thoughts: a taste of what I'm thinking


Black and white all or nothing thinking is something I've struggled with (and still do).  I'm more of a math and science person where things are right or wrong.  There's no in-between or kind of correct answer to a math problem, you either have the correct solution or a wrong answer.  It's not like art where anything is 'correct' as long as you do something.  When you combine this black and white thinking with other aspects of life you run into problems.  A good example would be perfectionism but that's another topic for another day.

The world is not black and white, there is give and take, ebb and flow.  Yes there is right and wrong and some things fall into this black or white category (math, morals, truth).  But this post isn't about black or white, it's about all that's in-between.  I've always tried to think of it as all the shades of grey you can get by mixing varying ratios of black and white paint.  But even that perspective holds me back.  What about all the other colors in the spectrum!?!?!  Life is so much more exciting when you use all the colors on the palette.  You can even mix the colors and make new colors.  You don't have to color inside the lines.  You don't even need lines, make you own, or don't.

Sometimes I'm successful at moving away from black and white thinking but get stuck on another color.  Just because something has always been a certain way doesn't mean that's the only way it can be.  If you watch little kids color they not only go outside the lines, they pick whatever colors they want.  The sky can be purple, the grass can be blue, the banana can be orange, the tree can be pink, anything goes. Their imaginations are free and unhindered.  Kids color how they want to and they're proud of their work.   

I recently saw a poster with the phrase "Be a Fruit Loop in a world full of Cheerios".  Maybe that's my problem, I love Cheerios but hate Fruit Loops. Even as a kid Fruit Loops made me feel sick.  I like Multi Grain Cheerios, do those count? They are different colors, but I have a feeling they fall more into the grey category.  There I go again relating everything to food, oops.

I could sit and analyze how all of these color analogies apply to real life, but I leave that for you to ponder.  I think I'll go add some color to life.  

Food for Thought: "Laughter sparkles like a splash of water in sunlight"






No comments:

Post a Comment